Complete the Week 2 Homework Exercise.
Week 2 Homework Exercise
Answer the following questions in 25 to 50 words each, using your texts as references:
1. A researcher is interested in studying the effects of different levels of distraction—none, low, and high—on scores on a test of visual memory. Participants are randomly assigned to one of three conditions: no distraction, low distraction, or high distraction. All participants engage in a test of visual memory. What is the independent variable? What is the dependent variable?
2. Define hypothesis, and provide an example.
3. What is an operational definition of a variable? How might the variable sense of humor be defined operationally?
4. What is the difference between correlational research and experimental research? Why does correlational research not imply causality between the variables?
5. What is validity in counseling research? What is reliability in counseling research? Why are these concepts important?
6. What are the different scales of measurement? What is the optimal use for each scale?