Law531 Week 5 Apply Assessment
1. Use the following information to answer questions 1–3.
Darwin is a 60-year-old software engineer for Compuswerve, Inc. Recently, the company went through a reorganization process meant to revamp the business and the work it does. The directors want to rework the company as a fresh, hip business with cutting-edge knowledge from young, creative-minded employees. Obviously, Darwin doesn’t fit into the directors’ vision, so the managers wish to replace him. Sure enough, a few weeks later Compuswerve hires some new employees, and Darwin is offered a severance plan and dismissed.
Which of the following, if true, would legally support the company’s decision to fire and replace Darwin? Check all that apply.
o if Darwin was unable to perform the essential functions of his job
o if Darwin had another job offer elsewhere
o if Darwin needed a reasonable accommodation to perform his job due to a disability
o if there were more highly skilled workers in the organization who could take his place
o if the company was a private (non-governmental) organization
o if Darwin planned to retire in less than five years
o if the company had fewer than 20 employees
2. Which law prevents employees like Darwin from discrimination in employment?
o Title VII
o affirmative action
3. Are the company’s actions permissible, considering its mission and vision?
o Yes, because the company is private and therefore has the right to hire or fire whomever they want to.
o No, because Darwin was treated less favorably than younger employees based solely on his age.
o Yes, because age is not a protected class in employment law.
o No, because Darwin was not given compensation or allowed adequate time to find another job.
4. Visit the National Labor Relations Board website and explore the tabs on the website to answer questions 4–7. Additionally, please explore recent cases and decisions to learn more about what the NLRB does.
Who is the chairman of the NLRB?
John F. Ring
5. What does the NLRB do? Select all the main functions of the board.
o decide cases
o file charges against employers
o draft legislation
o facilitate settlements
o conduct elections
o enforce orders
o investigate charges against employers
6. What types of database information and reports does the website offer? Select all that apply.
o case activity reports
o inspector general notices
o regulatory reports and notices
o rules and regulations
o petitions and elections
o performance reports
7. Where is the regional NLRB office that serves the state of Arizona?
o Washington, DC