BSCOM234T Week 4 – Apply: Relationships
1. To create a more positive workplace culture, Haley has stated that Creative Consulting should engage in non-evaluative responses where they undertake __________ , which includes sharing your perceptions of the situation and confirming the validity of the problem.
c. offering support
2. Contrary to Kameron’s claims, Alicia, the director of human resources, has stated that Creative Consulting fosters a culture based on evaluative responses such as ________________, which includes noting someone’s strengths.
a. criticizing constructively
b. replying with genuine helpfulness
c. augmenting what is put forward
d. providing realistic and authentic praise
3. Haley recently ended a relationship, and she is trying to come to grips with losing the relationship. When asked about the breakup, Haley tries to talk positively about why they broke up. Interpersonal communications researcher Steve Duck calls this “grave-dressing,” and it occurs at which point in relational de-escalation?
4. Haley was in a relationship, but she decided to slow things down when it seemed they constantly found faults in one another and engaged in coercive conflict. Haley and her former partner are at which stage of relationship de-escalation?
c. Turmoil or stagnation
5. Haley likes Jason. When she approaches him, she turns to him, waves, and gives an animated smile. She is manifesting ______________.
a. approachability cues
b. an open-door attitude
6. When making the decision about whether or not to terminate an employee, Alicia usually defers to Jason. On the other hand, when it comes to which employee needs more training, Alicia usually makes the decision. Alicia’s and Jason’s relationship seems to work that way in general. Jason is the expert and in charge of some things and Alicia in others. Which of the following best characterizes their friendship?
7. Kameron’s family has always spoke openly about things, and all members of the family have been encouraged to discuss whatever topics they feel are important. This openness to discuss any topic is known as which of the following?
c. Level of conversation
d. Level of conformity
8. Alicia has some important information to pass along to her subordinates, which will require immediate action. Which of the following methods would be the best way to communicate with his subordinates?
b. Written memos with oral follow-ups
c. Written memos
d. Face-to-face with written follow-up
9. Outside of work, Alicia and Jason have been friends for a long time, but it is clear that Jason likes to be in charge and Alicia prefers to go along. Which of the following type of relationship best characterizes their friendship?
10. Kameron has asserted how job instructions are complex and the duties are demanding. However, Jason states how communication wherein a manager gives job instructions to a subordinate is simply ________________.
a. Downward communication
b. Upward communication
c. Sideways communication
d. Lateral communication
11. Rather than viewing cultures as individualistic or collectivistic, Alicia, the director of human resources, prefers to look at peer work relationships that are moderate in both task and social dimensions. What type of peer work relationship is Alicia referring to?
a) Collegial peer
b) Special peer
c) Horizontal peer
d) Information peer
12. Kameron has low self-esteem; he craves attention and is obsessed with his relationship with his romantic partner of 2 months. However, Kameron feels his partner sees the relationship almost like a game, cares more about the physical aspect of their relationship, and seeks Kameron’s affection. Kameron and his partner most likely exhibit which two love styles?
a) Kameron exhibits mania and his partner exhibits eros.
b) Kameron exhibits mania and so does his partner.
c) Kameron exhibits mania and his partner exhibits ludus.
d) Kameron exhibits mania and his partner exhibits ludus.
13. Haley has regular meetings with Alicia to inform her of productivity, emotional support issues, and potential work problems. What kind of communication is Haley engaging with his Alicia?
14. To create a more positive workplace culture, Kameron has stated that Creative Consulting should engage in non-evaluative responses where they undertake ____________, which includes asking questions that will give you more information about what the person is experiencing.
a. offering support
15. Alicia and Jason have disagreed on the Kameron situation. Alicia wants Kameron to go through sexual harassment training, while Jason wants to terminate him because of the negative press. In serious situations like this, Jason always wants to go with the extreme decision, while Alicia wants more employee training. Which of the following best characterizes the type of relationship they seem to have?
d. Competitive Symmetrical
16. Alicia, the director of human resources, has stated how the company values empathy. In fact, Alicia states how the company ensures they are __________ to make this person feel valued and accepted by the organization.
b. recognizing employees
c. negotiating roles
d. developing job competency
17. Haley alleges that Creative Consulting doesn’t practice empathy because they tend to engage in ______________ which denotes ignoring others altogether.
a) verbal abuse
b) generalized complaining
c) irrelevant response
d) impervious response
18. At work, Alicia and Jason are constantly challenging one another. When deciding how to best resolve employee issues, they both believe the other should defer to their judgment. What kind of relationship do they most likely have?
19. Which of the following is the name for the theory that suggests that each of us has our own boundaries and rules for sharing personal information?
a. Symbolic interactionism
b. Social penetration
c. The Johari window
d. Communication privacy management theory
20. Kameron has stated that __________ helped him learn about the informal rules, norms, and climate of the organization’s culture, which is different from other organizations
a. negotiating roles
b. being recognized
c. developing job competency
21. Kameron alleges that Creative Consulting doesn’t practice empathy because they tend to engage in _____________, which denotes using words to hurt people emotionally and psychologically.
a. impervious response
b. generalized complaining
c. irrelevant response
d. verbal abuse
22. Haley thought about filing a sexual harassment claim against Jason. She accuses him of denying her chances for a promotion due to their past failed relationship. What type of harassment is this called?
a. Post hoc ergo proctor hoc
b. Quid pro quo
c. Argumentum ad hominem
d. Hostile environment
23. To create a more positive workplace culture, Kameron has stated that Creative Consulting should engage in the most positive form of confirmation, which is referred to as _______________.
d) active listening